Remove this ad

princessalica

GHH SuperStar Extraordinaire

Lead

Jan 22 09 1:25 PM

Tags : :

Recommend (2 recommendations so far)  Message 1 of 189 in Discussion  

From: BabyDecember2  (Original Message) Sent: 9/8/2004 11:17 AM
On Saturday, it will be three years since the attack on The World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and the downed plane in PA.  I wanted to start a thread where we can all talk about our experiences with this great tradegy.  Where were you when it happened?  How have you dealt with it?  Are you doing anything to commemorate the victims?  I know this may be a sensitive subject for some to deal with, and many don't like to re-live the whole experience, but for me, who actually did LIVE the experience, it really helps me to talk about it, and to hear everyone else's perspective of the events that day.

Here is my story:  I use to work for Cantor Fitzgerald on the 103rd floor of One World Trade Center.  I started working there in the spring of 1998, and left the firm in January 2001.  Before leaving, I got my younger sister a job in the Credit / Risk department where she worked on the 101st Floor.  That morning, the weather was perfect, it was a gorgeous morning, and I remember getting to work early, my boss was on the phone and he ran out to me, and said that a plane just hit the WTC, the first words out of my mouth, were OMG, my sister works there.  We ran to the conference room, where we had a clear view of the towers.  Once I saw the gaping fire hole in the building, I knew that those were the Cantor floors, and my heart dropped.  I ran back to my desk, and had 2 voicemails from my sisters (I have 5 of them, and 2 brothers!!) I tried calling my mother's house (my sis still lived at home) and no one answered, which scared me even more because that meant that she wasn't home and was either on her way to work, or already there.  I couldn't even think about the latter.  I called her fiance because he sometimes drove her into work, and by the sound of his voice, I knew he hadn't.  I tried calling her office, no answer, I tried calling my old boss, no answer, I tried calling her boss, no answer...

My older sister then called me, and told me that she couldn't get in touch w/ my parents (turns out my dad was in church and my mom was voting), and that brother in law (who is a fireman) was on his way into the city, then she screamed and said that another plane just hit the other tower.  My phone lines was ringing like crazy from my other sisters and my friends who all knew that my sister had worked there, by then, my office was buzzing, and people kept coming over to see if I was ok.  I actually was, I wasn't even crying. 

Then, I called my parents house again, and my father picked up, I could barely hear him over my mother screaming and crying about her baby, that's when I lost it, I just told my dad to call me when he heard from Maureen.  After what seemed like hours, her fiance called me, and told me that she was fine.  She was stuck on the train, and didn't know anything had happened, he told her to get back on the train and come back home, he was meeting her at the train station in Queens.  I threw up, and told my boss that I was leaving, but he said that everyone was leaving, they were evacuating the building. 

Once outside, midtown Manhattan had become a mob scene.  I was working near Times Square, and if it was 80 degrees and sunny, I would've thought it was NYE.  I walked to the train station, got on the train, only to have the conductor say that they were closing all the bridges and tunnels into and out of Manhattan.  I got off the train, and ran into my friend Angela, who I went to school with and hadn't seen for years!!  She also lived in Queens and we decided to walk home.  I remember going into a store and buying a pack of smokes (I had just quit, but decided that this wasn't the time to start analyzing my health!!) and smoked about 1/2 the pack by the time we got over the bridge into Queens...

About a block from my parents house, I could see my dad and my sister outside, all smoking, and as soon as I saw my baby sister's face, I broke down, I started crying uncontrollably, once she saw my face, she started to cry too, then my dad.  We all hugged and cried for a long time.  Once that was done, my dad said to me, you have one good cry left for your mother, she needs to see you.  Once she heard the front door open, I could hear her crying.  She hugged my sister and I so hard.  The rest of the day is really like a blur.  I remember trying to sleep, but needing to watch TV to see what was going on, I remember telling my parents that I wanted to stay there w/ them for the rest of the week, I remember going home and hugging my roommate and crying because she is a cop and we both knew the job she had in front of her was going to be the toughest of her life.  I remember that night, sleeping next to my sister and just thinking things could've been so different if she wasn't stuck on the trian, or if Pete had drove her into work. 

This Saturday, we will be going to a Cantor memorial in the afternoon.  It still feels like yesterday, and I still ache for all those that we lost.  I will never forget that day as long as I live, and I will never forget all my friends, and the good people that I lost, and all those that I didn't know that are gone now.  

First  Previous  2-16 of 189  Next  Last  

Recommend   Message 2 of 189 in Discussion  

Baby D ~
Thank you so much for sharing your story.  I live in Dallas, but my heart is always in NYC.  I love the city and visit any chance I get.  I am happy for your family.  It is a day we will all remember, I'm sure.  And to always remember those we lost.
Thank you again!
Jilli

Recommend   Message 3 of 189 in Discussion  

What a story BabyDecember!!  I am very removed (geographically-speaking) from those events of September 11th but I remember watching everything unfold on TV that day like it was yesterday!!  And reading your post has me in tears!!  I can't even begin to imagine how you & your family felt that day.

I remember someone coming into our office and said "did you see...." and we didn't actually understand or believe what he was saying at the time.... that was right after the first plane hit. 

My kids were 6 & 8 at the time and it is something that I think they will never forget either.  My son just mentioned the fact that his first rocket-football game is on September 11th and that he didn't really like that.  He thinks that is a "sad" day.... he is 9 now.  The terrorist acts that day have affected everyone and it is definitely not something that is just going to be forgotten!!

God bless all of us!!

Recommend   Message 4 of 189 in Discussion  

BabyD ~ Thank you for sharing your story. 

I cannot believe it has been three years, time has passed, but the emotions of watching people fleeing for their lives, searching for their loved ones and just seeing the images from that day over and over will never leave me. 

The one thing I do miss however from that time, is how people put their differences aside and came together as human beings and Americans to help one another through the tough times.  It seems as though many have forgotten  some of the lessons we should have learned on that day and the days and weeks that followed; but I have a glimmer of hope that many of us remember.

Recommend   Message 5 of 189 in Discussion  

The one thing I do miss however from that time, is how people put their differences aside and came together as human beings and Americans to help one another through the tough times.
~~~
Shark lover ~ that's an excellent point!!  This country was truly united for a while there sometimes I still see it usually when things get tense in the city w/ the heightened alerts or extra security w/ the convention, but for the most part, some people don't even like to recognize such a great loss.  One of my sister's friends asked her what she was doing on Saturday, and she said, going to church, then the memorial, then going home, and he said, "Geez, you're still upset??  You should celebrate life instead of death" and she replied, " How about I celebrate after I mourn for the 50 or so people that I knew personally?"  

0 recommendations   Message 6 of 189 in Discussion  

Sent: 9/8/2004 11:59 AM
This message has been deleted by the author.

0 recommendations   Message 7 of 189 in Discussion  

Sent: 9/8/2004 12:00 PM

Recommend   Message 8 of 189 in Discussion  

Sorry for the delete.... I was having a terrible time expressing myself there!

I agree that we should celebrate life!!  But I also believe that we all owe it to the innocent people that lost their lives because of the terrorists attacks on our free country to remember them and remember the events of September 11th.

Recommend   Message 9 of 189 in Discussion  

GH Angie ~ I also agree we should celebrate life, and we (my sis and I) do.  We celebrate with our sons (mine is 9 mos. old, her's will be 2 in Oct), but it's hard to think of the positive when you have lost someone personally.  I know it's a weird comparison, but when you work w/ people 5 days a week, 8 or more hours a day, you see them more than you see your family, and if you are lucky, you learn to really care about these people that you spend so much time with.  You care about them as friends, sometimes even more than that, you care about them as a brother or sister, or father or mother...and that's what it was like for her.  She was the only one from her department that lived, the rest of the dept. was in early for a conference call w/ London.  I guess for some people, the hurt doesn't sting as much as it use to, and to them, it's just a sad day....

Recommend   Message 10 of 189 in Discussion  

I agree we should celebrate life, but I also think we should remember the deaths even more. Everyone that is celebrating life seems to be doing so because they were that lucky that they werent near any of the events. We seem to celebrate the fact it was OUR lives that werent taken away and I think that is justified. Be happy you are alive, I am, every moment of every day. But in regards to people who feel that the day happened and now we should move on I really dont see any justification in their statements. We are celebrating because we can, we are alive, breathing and experiencing everything, those who died could not.

For once I would like to see everyone go back to the day of Sept 11 and remember how everyone came together in that time of need. No one cared who was what religion, who was what age, or who was what race. In the end we were all humans in need of help. That was the day America truly symbolized unselfish actions. We had heroes come in and risk their lives to save others they didnt even know. We had people donate blood to give others a chance at a life that they otherwise may not have had. To say it was just a sad day is an understatement. Its true death is sad, but is that it? Those 4,000 people died and its just sad? I dont think so. We should celebrate our lives just as we should celebrate theirs. The fact that they died for no reason what so ever. The fact that the lives of their loved ones will never be the same while ours seem to be. The reason we all hesitate to rememeber the dead is because it is truly depressing, to go back to that time and remember everything that happened. No one wants to be upset, but for once I would like for everyone to go back to the mentality of September 11th and realize that not everything is about "me" or "you". Just like it wasnt just about "me" or "you" when many of us wept for those we lost. We didnt weep for "me" or "you" we wept for "US".

IMO September 11th defined America for what it can be if we all try. That even in our worst moments, America can come together and be the land of the brave.

Recommend   Message 11 of 189 in Discussion  

LNJ ~ ICAM.  Your point about ppl. not wanting to remember death because it is depressing is so true.  But if people did remember, then maybe they would also remember how we did come together as a nation.  But, people also came together on a much smaller level...They came together as a state, a city, a neighborhood, etc...I remember walking over the bridge that day, and helping this woman with her kids get over the barricade they had, and I remember a few men, giving those kids the last of their water bottles...I remember when that Friday, on the day of rememberence, my whole neighborhood, was out in the streets w/ candles, singing God Bless America, and Amazing Grace....I remember going to the piers in Long Island City and looking at that beautiful skyline, that was burning, and hugging a woman there who's husband was a cop and he was working 24 hours and she hadn't seen him, and missed him so much...Maybe if people remembered that...

Recommend   Message 12 of 189 in Discussion  

I think unfortunately, our society's focus isn't on the things that it was on in the days following September 11.  IMHO, we have become more materialistic, more intolerant, etc....  We have lost focus that what really matters is how we treat one another as human beings and that all of the frivilous stuff in the larger scheme of things is not important. 

I agree we should celebrate life - we also need to remember those who lost their lives.  It can be done in many ways - attending a church service, attending a memorial, reflecting, etc... and perhaps one of the greatest ways IMHO to remember those people is to go back to the way we all came together at the time of our lives.  If anything could be gleaned from that ugly day, it should be the beauty that was found in the simplist things - from someone clapping to show support for a fireman, to lighting a candle for the fallen. 

Recommend   Message 13 of 189 in Discussion  

Shark ~ I remember on the first anniversary, my hubby and I went to the firehouse 2 blocks from my apartment, and we set up 3 candles, one red, one white and one blue, and this fireman came out, and set up a table for us to light the candles on and spoke to us for a few...the next morning, on my way to work, I passed the firehouse, and noticed that the little table was filled w/ flowers, more candles, american flags, and pictures...and the same fireman, came out, ready to go home, winked at me, and said Thanks...look what you started!!  It made me feel great to do something for me, and I promised myself that every year, I will go to a firehouse and light 3 candles, one red, one white and one blue for them, this is obviously the least I could do for them...

Recommend   Message 14 of 189 in Discussion  

BabyDecember,

Your story was so moving, my heart sank for you as I read it, but I am happy that your sister was and is safe.  I'm here in CT and also work in the Investment Field.  We used to use Cantor many years ago for our equity business and I had close personal ties with some.  They had left Cantor many years before 9/11 and we really never used them as brokerage after that time.  I have heard horrid stories from others about the intercom system, it must have been so horrible for them.  After 9/11 I went searching for my "Cantor Fitzgerald / I survived the World Trade Center bomb", I found it, it held so many good memories, and then I had to remember walking through those offices and looking out at the sky.  The brokers used to tell me how they always saw small aircrafts flying around.  So when we were watching TV (CNBC) here in the office, my first thought went back to what the brokers said.  It must of been an accident.  But whenever they showed the 2nd plane live hitting the other tower, my whole office cried out loud, we knew then that it wasn't an accident.  We didn't need to attend work the next day, since the market was closed, but we all showed up, I think it was more for comfort than anything else.  It was a sad time in history for us, but it was also a comforting time.  A time when we all came together and cried, laughed and alot of hugging.

Lets keep the hope and lets not forget the lives that were lost on that day.

Recommend   Message 15 of 189 in Discussion  

I was standing on Fifth Avenue and 16th street staring at tower 1 smoking, when i saw the plane fly into tower 2.  I was standing watching the whole thing, when I went up to my office.  I then came down, ready to walk back home, and was on the street when I saw the tower collapse.  I walked back to my apartment (over 4 miles)and was in shock for 2 days and then broke down.  It was a little surreal for me, i live by the UN and the secutiry there, for months after, was unbelievable.

My good friend walked down 95 flights of stairs in tower 2 and went back and helped people down.

I still cannot get those images out of my head.

Recommend   Message 16 of 189 in Discussion  

FF--

Wow I dont know what to say after reading your post. I cant even imagine what it must be for the people who were in NY during Sept 11....

One thing I will never understand is why and how people can do what they do. I mean everything that terrorism involves. The beheading, the killing of innocent people, the car bombs. I mean who are they doing this for? What point is it proving? If you want to rally support for your cause do it so people respect you...not fear you. I remember I was in dowtown Chicago near the Sears tower shopping when I heard about the attacks. Every thing was insane just because we thought we might be next. And no matter how much time passes I still cant seem to understand why it happened. What did it accomplish? I just still pray that we might see a day in the future when the world really will live in peace.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

princessalica

#1 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:26 PM

Recommend   Message 17 of 189 in Discussion  

When I realized that two planes had actually hit those two buildings on purpose and then both buildings fell down, I really thought the world was about to come to an end.  I was sitting in my living room in Tennessee, but the magnitude of what was happening was unbelievable.

Recommend   Message 18 of 189 in Discussion  

This thread is so touching and absolutly necessary in this time and for those who need to say something about how it made them feel {now/then}.
I was so touched by your story BabyDecember.
I live in Norfolk Va. I am a NAVY brat through and through. I married another NAVY brat and together we relocated here with my in laws when my father in law was given orders to serve on board the USS IWO JIMA in Sept of 2000. My husband and I were expecting our third child in Dec 2001 and I was dropping my 9 and 10 yr old off at school I turned the radio down to give them a mommy loves ya as they left my car and as I drove off I turned the radio up. When the DJ said an aircraft has hit one of the twin towers in NYC I just made the assumpion that it was an accident and must have been a small plane. I remember saying a little god be with those people where that plane hit. I always went home and watched Good Morning America but because I am Rh negitave  and my baby was Rh positive I had to go to my OB and get a shot in addition I had to do a test for gestational diabeties that morning my Mother in law was going with me to see my babys sonogram in person. As I pulled up to the Jr high school where my mom in law worked and she got in the car I said somehtings happening in NYC. She just shook her head and said turn it up {they had made the office turn off the TVs due to masive coverage on the events unfolding in NYC} we listened in silence as I drove us to my Dr's office. All I could think is what the hell is going on. When we got to the office and saw on a small portable TV what had happened my mother in law broke down we knew then we would not see my father in law for a while as a new Ship in service the USS IWO JIMA was called to serve and protect the waters that surround the harbors and ports in the NY area. We finnished up at the Dr's office and that is when I heard about the pentagon. My husbands ex father in law was working there and I could care less about all the fights we had about visitation for the boys and every wrong thing we had ever said or done it didn't matter to me anymore I just prayed for his family and for his safety.{he was I got a call from his wife at 230pm that day to say he was ok}
I got a call from my father in law at 1235 pm and he asked that I get together some things in his sea bag he would be home in 15 mins to get them. I agreed and called my mother in law as soon as I got off the phone with him she had to tell me what he needed again beacuse I was so upset. I was so out of it I packed him my razors and tothbrush. {we still joke about that} he was gone for about 3 weeks and I don't think I will ever forget the feeling I had in the pit of my stomach when he said to me c ya kid. Or how happy my family was to see him those 3 weeks later when he gave us the family motto "Home again Home again Jigity Jig" as he came walking down from the ship. Although he missed the birth of his Grandson that December due to being on deployment and in Zackary's almost 3 years his grandpa has missed out on a collective 15 months despite the time away from us we are proud that he serves our great country. So I give you my story to remind me of how proud we all should be to have this outlet to show how much we all care for each other. Just because we are few among billions we are the same and we all hurt when injured wether it be from a far or too close to ever be free of the metal pictures we carry the Scars. I will always remember every September.
For those who just read the thread and don't feel they can share their stories yet just know that when you need someone we are here.
Take care to all and do something good for someone who challenges you not to because they need it the most.

Recommend   Message 19 of 189 in Discussion  

I live on Long Island. On that day I happened to be off from work b/c I had my graduate school class at night. I woke up to my radio alarm and I heard the DJs say that a plane hit the WTC. Of course I assumed a small plane hit the tower by accident. I turned the TV on and could not believe what I saw. I woke up my brother and we watched TV the whole morning. The newscasters where talking when all of a sudden you saw the other tower explode. They showed a replay and you saw that a plane had hit it. I will never forget that day. My brother's college roomate worked on the 102nd floor in one of the towers. Unfortunately he didn't make it out that day. What is very eery is the fact that he had his own web page and on it he had a picture of his office and his view from the WTC. So sad to see that after his death. I recently went back to the site and St. Pauls' church. It's amazing to see the transformation of the site in 3 yrs.

Recommend   Message 20 of 189 in Discussion  

I was on my way to work that dreadful day,and i remember being angry because all that was on the radio was news coverage and i couldnt listen to it long enough to find out what had happened.. When i got to work and the rush came in all  my guests asked was for me to turn on the t.v .When i turned it on my heart just sank!! I didnt get what the wtc was at that time and had someone explain what the big deal was.. Then the pentagon (and i knew what that was).I worke d from 10 am til 10 pm that day everyone i worked with was soo concerned over the gas prices(which we all took turns and left to fill our tanks) i dont think they realized the magnitude of what just happened.When i got home that night i snuck into my kids rooms and gave them an extra kiss and hug.And an important i love you!!!As i watched tv and seen these pictures i just cried for the lose of all those innocent lives that had been so inappropratley taken away.Little children women and men who shouldnt have died died so osama could get what piont across to the USA.My byfriend was incarrcerated that dreadful night and couldnt be home with us and i remember thinking my god i just want my family here with me !! as i cried.. noone knew if there were going to be more attacks that night and what if we all were to die and noone got the chance to say i love you!! My heart still goes out to the people who lost and almost lost family and friends and my tears stll come when i think of it and before to long i will go to NY and see ground zero and pay my respects and to again shed my tears.. 

Recommend   Message 21 of 189 in Discussion  

I was at work the morning of September 11. I am a restaurant manager for Wendy's. My maintenence man that morning was one that you had to check on every so often to make sure that he was still doing what he was supposed to. I went outside to check on him and one of his friends had pulled up and had the radio up very loud. This was just as one of the airplanes hit. All I remember hearing was that it was a United Airlines plane. My husband is (furloughed now) a pilot for United and was departing on a trip that morning. As I headed back inside all I could think was to get to the phone and try to call him. The first phone call was not answered but that God for the crew member who kept asking me what time his departure was. I looked at the clock and realized that he was 10 minutes from departure and the phone was ringing. It was him telling me that all of aviation had been grounded and that he was safe. We have no TV's at the restaurant and he wanted to make sure that I knew what was going on and that he was safe. It was 2 days later before he was released to come home but with my birthday on September 12 him safe was the best present that I got that year.
The last three years have been very different with him being furloughed but I thank God daily that he came home safe and sound. Our hearts and prayers go out to all who lost family and friends on that terrible day. Truly, we are the fortunate ones. 

Recommend   Message 22 of 189 in Discussion  

I was at work sitting exactly where I am right now.  I can remember it so clear.  Everyone scrambling to their computers to get online to see what was going on.  Being from New York State I immediately called my mom to see if we knew anyone who worked in the NYC.  I remember the smallest details from that day that you normally wouldn't remember last week.  Like what I was wearing, what the weather was like etc.......
I remember rushing home after work and hubby and I being glued to the TV every night after work.  Flipping stations and waiting because SOMEONE had to be found in the search!  It is a time none of us will forget.  I even cringe when I hear advertisements on radio/TV that "start" or "run through"  9/11. 
I can't believe another year has passed.........  

Recommend   Message 23 of 189 in Discussion  

I live in Northern NJ.  I can't really re-live the day, because it still seems like a dream (or bad horror movie), but I plan to light a Yahrzeit candle on Saturday morning, as I have for the last two years.  In the Jewish tradition, a Yahrzeit candle is lit at sundown each year on the anniversary of a loved one's death (based on the jewish calendar) in memory.

I think it only appropriate to light my Sept. 11th candle in the morning.

Recommend   Message 24 of 189 in Discussion  

Saw this and just had to post.  I hope we never forget that day and I hope that we ever experience anything like that again. 

I'm another Long Islander and I remember walking into my office at 8:50 a.m. and seeing it all play out on the TV.

My thoughts immediately went to my family and friends who work in the city.  My brother-in-law was sitting in a Tower Crane 40 stories high as the first plane buzzed his construction site.  He couldn't believe his eyes and immediately called my sister to tell her that he saw the plane hit The World Trade Center.  He remained in the crane and saw the second plane hit.  Then they closed the construction site and walked uptown.  He worked at The World Trade Center for over a week around the clock operating construction equipment during the rescue and recovery operation. 

I work in the financial field and we were sent home that day.....some of my companies clients had offices in the Trade Center......one company KBW lost many employees. 

I was lucky....all my family and friends made it home that day.  A friend lost her father...... a co-worker lost her brother-in-law......a classmate of my niece lost her father......my sister's neighbor lost his best friend........a fireman I grew up with lost his life that day.........and everyday I drive on Firefighter Robert Evans Avenue a few blocks from my house I remember that day.

Recommend   Message 25 of 189 in Discussion  

There was a pencil drawing that I saw a couple of weeks after Sept 11 that I wished I had kept a copy of.  It was a drawing done from a teenager somewhere and had been copied onto the internet.  After that, the picture kept being forwarded and forwarded........you may have seen it.
      It was a pencil drawing of the two towers burning, and it
      showed Jesus standing above the towers, and it showed
      all the souls floating up to him into his loving and welcoming
      arms. 
I wished I had kept a copy of it.  Have any of you seen it?

Robin

Recommend   Message 26 of 189 in Discussion  

Robin ~ I don't think this is the one you are talking about, but here is one that was circulating around

Recommend   Message 27 of 189 in Discussion  

I wish I had the one your talking about
These are the  ones I have

Recommend   Message 28 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 29 of 189 in Discussion  

This is a picture of a recovery worker saluting the WTC site on the last day of the recovery effort, May 30, 2002.

Recommend   Message 30 of 189 in Discussion  

Just thought I would mention this! For anyone who is a baseball fan HBO is airing a documentay on Tuesday the 14th at 10pm called "9 innings from ground zero" and it is about the 2001 World Series and how that was seen as helping NYC to some degree of healing!

Recommend   Message 31 of 189 in Discussion  

Quote    Reply   

princessalica

#2 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:27 PM

Recommend   Message 32 of 189 in Discussion  

I remember when I first heard the news of the attacks I broke down and cried, I dont know why exactly but I could just imagine the horror of the situation in New York.  I remember thinking there is and never will be any justifiable reason for whats happening in New York. Then when I went home and watched it I couldnt cry anymore, I watched the coverage of the towers falling and all the people running in the streets and I couldnt get out any emotion I just sat there staring at the tv. The worst was when I saw the people in Palestine dancing in the streets when learning the news. I never could understand how it was possible for ANY REASON to celebrate death. Be it your enemies or who evers.

Then it wasnt until I saw a music video tribute done by someone that I cried again. The song was by Enya "Only Time" and I cant even put into words what I felt when I saw the video. Every word semed as if it was written for that day, even though it was written before it.
September 11th was one of the greatest tragedies in American History but the biggest tragedy of all would be to not remember and learn from it. 

Recommend   Message 33 of 189 in Discussion  

hi everyone.  i actually haven't posted in over a year, but i still lurk.  all of your stories are incredible.  i live in queens, new york.  i remember that day so well, it's all still so fresh in my mind.  i was a sophomore in high school at the time and my first period teacher said she heard that a plane hit the towers, but no one knew what was really going on and no one seemed phased by it.  my second period teacher told us all the details and i remember my heart sinking.  so many kids in my class were saying how their parents were working near there or in the towers.  they were scrambling for their cell phones, which we were never allowed to use during the school day, to call their relatives.  so many kids were being called down to the office because someone had come to pick them up.  my teacher said it reminded him of when families would get telegrams in ww2 saying that their family memeber had died.  it gave me chills.  then a student came in with a pass and it had my name on it.  i went down and my mom was there and i just broke down and asked her if everyone was ok.  she told me my family was fine but that she wanted to take me out of school.  my high school had about 3,000 kids in it, all of whom were roaming the halls trying to find out what was going on.  parents were running in and out with tears rolling down their cheeks.  for my grandparents generation the question was "where were you when pearl harbor was attacked?", for my parents it was "where were you when kennedy was assasinated?"...i never thought i'd be asked a question like that.  now for my generation it's "where were you on september 11, 2001?".  down the block from me i can see the entire skyline, it's beautiful.  i remember always looking and savoring the sight and when i'd drive by with my mom i'd always say to her..."look look, we're so lucky to have that view." and she would always say..."i can't look, i'm driving, it'll be there tomorrow"... i never thought twice about the fact that it might now be there tomorrow.  i never thought that in one day it would be altered in the way that it was.  many people in my town were lost in the towers and every year we have a candelight vigil overlooking the skyline. 

Recommend   Message 34 of 189 in Discussion  

LiasonChick ~
Thank you for your story....I am also in Queens.  We could be neighbors..

I found this picture and wanted to post it.  It is an ice sculputer that was made by our good friends in Canada.

Recommend   Message 35 of 189 in Discussion  

All of your posts are very beautiful and very touching, I just had to add my story. LiasonChick, I agree (though I'm about 4 years older) our generation's where were you will always be about 9-11. I hope and pray I never see an atrocity of this magnitude again. I remember the day like it was yesterday. I woke up in my dorm room in Arkansas, flipped on the TV, saw news and quickly changed the channel, after seeing that news was on, on every channel I decided I had better stop and see what was going on. I saw the second plane hit tower 2 live. I think my heart stopped beating for a second or two. Seeing the flames from tower 1 and then that, tears just started streaming. Somehow I managed to get dressed and go to class. My professor had it on in class and the room only had girls in it (the Arkansas guard and ROTC had been called to report and it's very big in AR so most men are either reserve or ROTC). My prof had many friends who worked in the towers and all she could do was cry. We just stared at the TV for the whole 2 hours and barely breathed, let alone move. I was a journalism major, so we were all asked to go around and get people's reactions. I was assigned to talk to the above-mentioned professor. She was very open and just needed to talk, she said it was hard that day to try and talk in "sound bites". I had an overwhelming urge to go home that day. I just wanted to be with my mom and dad. I didn't, the university ended up holding a candlelight vigil that night on the quad. It was probably the longest day of my life.

My definition of hero was clearly defined on that day.
My sympathies still go to those who actually had to live it and not watch it like me.  

Recommend   Message 36 of 189 in Discussion  

My Nephews best friend worked for cantor fitzgerald, the last time we saw him was the sunday before the attack, he was at my nephews apt. which is downstairs at my mom's house, I was sitting on the porch when he came by, he lived down the block, he said hi beebee with that beaming smile, later that day my 9 year old nephew came by and was playing video games with him, on monday my sister said she saw him on the train, like every morning, he sat by her gave her a kiss and they talked until her stop came, tuesday she did not see him, when she was at work she called her son when she saw the news, he said 'naw" I don't think Pop was there, he blew up his cell phone with calls, he called friends to see if they heard from him, he called pops family nothing, they said he went to work early that day, we were all a mess waiting to here something, pop never called back, we could not console my nephew, he was a mess, then after a day we knew pop was gone, he didn't get back to anybody, he worked on the 106 th floor , I think, and his fiancee Angie worked on the 105th floor, they both left this earth together, I pray everyday for pop. angie and everybody that lost their life that day, I will be going to ground zero on sat. to pay my respect to everyone lost that day.

Recommend   Message 37 of 189 in Discussion  

I KNOW THIS SOUNDS CORNY, BUT MY HEART IS REALLY HEAVY TODAY THINKING OF EVERYONE WHO LOST A LOVED ONE AND HAS TO GO THROUGH THIS DAY.  AND I KNOW IT'S NOT JUST TODAY, BUT THE NATION IS REMEMBERING THE HORRIBLE THINGS THAT HAPPENED AND IT JUST MAKES ME SAD.

TAKE CARE EVERYONE AND BE SAFE, SAFE, SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!

Recommend   Message 38 of 189 in Discussion  

OH, AND TO SHORLOCK1, YOUR BANNER IS ONE OF THE MOST AWESOME ONE I HAVE SEEN.  DID YOU DO THAT YOURSELF?  IT SHOULD BE IN A SEPT. 11 REMEMBERNCE BOOK OR CALENDER.

Recommend   Message 39 of 189 in Discussion  

My thoughts and prayers will be centered around this tradegy today.  Although I was not geographically close to the events, my heart bleeds for my fellow Americans.  Thank you to those of you who have shared your personal stories, may God Bless us all! 

Recommend   Message 40 of 189 in Discussion  

I will never forget seeing the planes hit the WTC towers...
I will never forget the fear in my voice when I called my husband....
I will never forget driving home from picking up my 1 year old granddaughter thinking that she is oblivious to the horror of this day...
I will never forget as each of my 3 children called me from their jobs wishing they could come home and be with me and their dad, even though they all had homes of their own to go to...
I will never forget as my husband and I both cried and cried as the events unfolded on t.v....
I will never forget thinking how could this happen to innocent people just going about their daily lives....
I will never forget as I took my 9 year old granddaughter to school the next day when she asked if what happened in New York could happen to us in Michigan and how scared she was as I tried to reassure her we were safe...
I will never forget the grief that spread like wild fire across our great country and how people came together to help one another...
I will never forget seeing our beautiful flag flying proudly everywhere...
I will never forget the heroes...so many...
No, I will never forget September 11, 2001....ever!

My prayers go out to all who lost loved ones on this most tragic day...We will always remember...

Recommend   Message 41 of 189 in Discussion  

Each year I think the distance will help me find the right words to express my sorry and heartfelt ache I have for all of those who lost someone on this tragic day.  But the "right" words never come.  I for one will never forget, both my personal experience and our country's deep wound.  My husband (then boyfriend) worked (and still does) in Time Square, he called to tell me about the first plane, I tuned in like many others and watched the second plane hit while on the phone with him.  I begged him to leave the city, he said he would leave as soon as he could. Our phones went dead then.  He did get me later to tell me he was safe in the city but would have a long wait to get a train home.  I was also frantically calling with no success one of our close friends who worked in the South Tower.  To make a long story short, six hours later his sister contacted me to tell me he was okay, I had thought for sure he died when I saw the tower collapse.  Thankfully he had enough sense to start leaving when the first tower was hit, he was in the building when his was hit, he was in the stairwell and was knocked around a bit. Thankfully when he got outside he kept walking and didn't stand near the building. He did say he would never forget the image of people jumping to their deaths.  My brother also worked about a mile away from the Pentagaon at the time and was trying to get home to his wife and due to cell outages we couldn't contact him for a while as well. 
The day was such a tragedy for so many.  What I try to take from this experience is to love my friends and family every day, appreciate everything you have from the smallest of things to the largest. 
My unending prayers and thoughts are with all of those who mourn and all of us who feel the wound.   

Recommend   Message 42 of 189 in Discussion  

Thoughts and prayers on this day from your friends and neighbours to the North.

This day has a profound effect on us all.

United against terrorism

Recommend   Message 43 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 44 of 189 in Discussion  

For me it touched so close to home. I live very close to the City. For me, as a child and even adult, the city was always defined by the Twin Towers. I still cry thinking about that day!!  Then three years later & if you're lucky you see a flag or two out in your neighborhood. Time stood still not only in New York City, but also on the Island. I remember being glued to the TV for a whole week. Crying my eyes out. So many people forgot what that day was about, why it all happened, how many people lost their lives, how many wives, mothers, children, grandchildren.. etc. perished on that day. For what? Just because some horrible cowards didn't like what American's stood for? I can never forget that day, nor do I think anyone should. It can happen again, God Forbid it. The one thing that should at least come out of 9-11-01 is for people to live each day to the fullest, because you truly never know when it can be taken away from you. Remember to always tell your loved ones, that you love them each day. Love Life.

It just irks me that so many people seem to have forgotten. I don't think that's right. Yes, we should all go on with our lives, but we should never forget that horrid day! The City & people of New York lost so much that day. More then anyone should. As well, as the people from Washington, DC. This was a national crisis, yes there have been other tragedy's in the past... But this was a national one. It happened to everyone, but only seemed to effect a handful. I recall going on to a board (NOT this one), and the posters were all complaining that the soaps weren't on because of the news being on for that week or so after. I was outraged by that, and it still bothers me when I read things of that nature. Who cares about a soap when something like this happens?

Anyhow with that, God Bless everyone!! 

Recommend   Message 45 of 189 in Discussion  

beebee ~ I hope you get a chance to read this, I just wanted to let you know that I knew Angie...I use to work with her and use to see her all the time...she was such a sweet and beautiful girl.  Watching the memorial on Saturday, I did so much praying...Just wanted to let you know that an extra prayer was said for those who you lost...

Recommend   Message 46 of 189 in Discussion  

Waited purposefully for the anniversary to pass, before responding.
Agree with Silentyears, many have forgotten. Much of the reason, I believe, is the sanitized version of events that are regularly portrayed.
Not sure if I could advocate seeing the "real" truth of how so many suffered......but unless we have a picture of that in our minds eye......forgetting is the probable consequence.

Quote    Reply   

princessalica

#3 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:27 PM

Recommend   Message 47 of 189 in Discussion  

I can't see how anyone could "forget" - yes, sometimes we get busy and may forget for a while but there is always something to remind us if indeed we need reminding.  Just mention the date and that horrific day immediately comes to mind in all it's tragedy.  Most of us know someone who either died or lost someone so we look at them and are reminded. Here in New York, you pass the site and it just breaks your heart and all the memories come flashing back. IMO it's the saddest day in America's history and with the constant alerts, it's impossible for me to ever forget.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Recommend   Message 48 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 49 of 189 in Discussion  

Yeah I was just upset by it all.. I think the fact when I went to work the day after, and a bunch of fellow workers were outside & I said something about 9-11 & they were like "who even cares anymore?" I was just ack.. words can't describe how I felt when I was told that. 

This was posted on 9/11/04 in my friends journal, These are her thoughts on that day & how she was effected. I just want to share it because it sums up a lot.  Her post brought tears to my eyes. I do truly believe a lot of people did forget, maybe not the day itself.. But what that day meant to so many people, the losses, the fear.. So much!!

Marilla's Post
"Three years ago today my entire life was changed forever.
No... I didn't "lose" anyone close to me. No, I wasn't "at Ground Zero." But I was in New York City, and that was enough. I lived through something that even when put into words, can't fully describe the enormity of the event.
I don't think most of the people in the world, even most of the people in New York outside of the city, realize exactly what happened, and what it was like. They shrug it off. They say "Oh that sucks, what a shame" and continue watching supid reality TV, being ignorant to the really important things in life. Like the woman who, two days after it happened, said loudly in the supermarket, "I don't understand why more people couldn't get out, my friend was on the 24th floor and got out just fine." Or the coldhearted idiots who say America deserved it. Or the people who say "Oh, todays 9-11? I totally forgot." I however, will never ever ever forget it. I won't ever forget anything I went through that day. I won't forget things I saw, things my dad told me he saw, I'll never forget seeing him cry for the second time ever in my life. I'll never forget not being able to face going back in there for a week. I'll never forget what it felt like, to be maybe 20 something blocks away from what was happening, in a dorm with Alexis, watching the Twin Towers fall down to dust. I couldn't just pick myself up and continue with life like nothing happened after that. A piece of my heart was forever engraved with what I saw and went through. I haven't really been the same person I was before that day, to be honest. There's always a part  of me that worries when I'm in school, or in NYC for whatever reason. Theres always a part of me that no matter where I am, I'm checking for exits/emergency exits. Theres always a part of me that makes sure I tell my family and Jay I love them before I leave, because maybe, just maybe, as far-fetched as it may seem to you... I won't come home tonight. When you buy a newspaper a day after a tragedy like that and see that the front cover is a human hand, completely detached from a body, with a gold wedding band still on it, lying in dust, you don't forget. You don't forget the hopelessness of seeing your dad pull up in front of F.I.T. in an FDNY truck and tell you he doesn't know whats going to happen to him, but he loves you, and heres some money in case you need it, then pulling away. You don't forget the people walking down Seventh Avenue covered in white dust, some with no shoes on. You don't forget being on the first train out of Penn Station, and shaking like a leaf, just wanting to go home. You don't forget the woman waiting at the station for the husband who never got off the train. When your father loses most of his friends, his boss, his partner... and finds nothing but his partners squashed helmet... you don't forget. When your father is going to a funeral or memorial service once a day for a year, you don't forget. You don't forget when your boyfriends family lost their store. You don't forget when your friend loses a family member. You don't forget when your mom's friends brother is killed a day before his baby is born. You just don't. So maybe I wasn't "personally affected" in the way you think. But I really was. I didn't lose a parent, a sibling, a cousin, etc... but I did lose something. I lost faith. I lost faith in humanity. I lost whatever faith I had left in God (and I completely lost my belief that there was a God and it was a woman). I lost a part of the city that I love so much. I lost it, and I won't get it back.
How quickly some people forget, if they even cared at all.
I won't forget. Ever.

Once again, my heart and my thoughts go out to those who lost someone... as it does everytime I think about that day. "

0 recommendations   Message 50 of 189 in Discussion  

Sent: 9/14/2004 8:48 AM
This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.

Recommend   Message 51 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 52 of 189 in Discussion  

I went back two years and could not find the "original" thread Shirley posted, when we all still had no idea what was going on.   It's so strange to remember those feelings, the horror and the fear of what was coming next.

Katrina has given me similar feelings, but nothing like the fear that something could happen HERE in MI, like I worried after 9/11.  I'm still praying for all the victims and their familes.

My girlfriend's friend lost her hubby at the penatgon on 9/11 and within days another man lost his wife to cancer.  The husband of the friend and wife of the man were both buried at Arlington within days of each other.  The 9/11 widow and cancer widower found eachother and are now married, and in addition to thier combined 5 kids, have a baby of thier own.   Gotta find the miracles...

Recommend   Message 53 of 189 in Discussion  

Keeping the victims family and friends in my thoughts and prayers. I've been listening to the names being read off this morning and it feels like September 11, 2001 was just yesterday. May we never forget.

God bless.

Recommend   Message 54 of 189 in Discussion  

From: <NOBR>mytwins·</NOBR>  (Original Message) Sent: 9/11/2005 8:08 AM

Remembering all those who were lost or lost family members on 9/11. 

mytwins

Recommend   Message 55 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 56 of 189 in Discussion  

July 28,2001

9/11/2001

9/11/2001

Pentagon 9/11/2001

9/11/2001

Recommend   Message 57 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 58 of 189 in Discussion  

GOD BLESS AMERICA...

Recommend   Message 59 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 60 of 189 in Discussion  

Thank you whoever bumped up this thread...we need to remember.

Recommend   Message 61 of 189 in Discussion  

Quote    Reply   

princessalica

#4 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:28 PM

Recommend   Message 62 of 189 in Discussion  

four years later, and the pain, the intensity, it all comes back, or has it ever truly left me? Though I personally lost no one, the mark of 9/11 on my psyche is deep and manifests in so many ways even 4 years later...always on alert, always wondering if planes are flying too low over my beloved city, always wondering when....
Stopping by my firehouse with white roses, and the firemen thanking me..."no, thank YOU..." ...leaving in tears that even now fall from my eyes. I never thought of myself as innocent, but no I know...I was, and that sense of security, that feeling that the world was good and safe has been forever changed, forever marred by hatred and evil.  I will never forget. 

Recommend   Message 63 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 64 of 189 in Discussion  

Just here to say I remember...and will never forget, I still get tears in my eyes when I think back on that day.
I have made it a tradition for me to leave a candle burin all day,. I lit a candle on that day not to long ago, and now every year I light one for remembrance. 

Recommend   Message 65 of 189 in Discussion  

Never forget.  May God bless all those who suffered that dreadful day and those who even now continue to suffer in its aftermath. 

Recommend   Message 66 of 189 in Discussion  

My heart goes out to all who lost loved ones on that day. May we never forget that we are vulnerable. The thing that stands out most in my mind about that day and the days following was how America came together. Race, religion, politics, etc. didn't matter. We were all Americans dealing with tragedy. 

Recommend   Message 67 of 189 in Discussion  

Pray For Our Nation
Today, our nation shall cry
Today, our nation shall weep.
Into our souls the metal birds fly
No longer in peace can we sleep.
America the beautiful,
America the scarred.
The scene is pitiful
Freedom marred.
Casualties too numerous to tell
Innocence ripped apart.
Rumbling, the might towers fell,
Crushing my heart.
Forever lives September 11, 2001,
Remembered by all creation.
Our one hope is God's only Son
Pray for our nation.
--Mandi Shawnee Johnson

Recommend   Message 68 of 189 in Discussion  

Even now as I sit here reading the post, my eyes swell with tears.  I pray for us all.  It is amazing how much things have changed since that day.  I will never look at an airplane the same way, I say prayers for my loved ones as the travel, I worry when I see a plane to low.  It is something we will never forget. 

Recommend   Message 69 of 189 in Discussion  

From our Slideshow section:

A very special slideshow.  Dedicated to those who lost
their lives on  September 11th, 2001.
In A New York Minute.  By GHH's own, Kimberly68
http://members.tripod.com/cummings.kimberly/
newyorkmin.htm

From our Slideshow section:

Recommend   Message 70 of 189 in Discussion  

My husband and I just watched the slide show. He wiped the tears from his eyes and I am still crying as I type this.So sad. We will never forget.

Recommend   Message 71 of 189 in Discussion  

I was in NY January before the attacks and then again about a year ago in May and while we were there we visited the site and I cried thinking of everything and everyone on that day. 

Recommend   Message 72 of 189 in Discussion  

I will never forget that day.  I pray for the ones who lost love ones and my heart goes out to them today.

Recommend   Message 73 of 189 in Discussion  

I just watched the documentary on Discovery Channel about Flight 93..
The Flight That Fought Back.
The chronicle of this event was very sad...I couldn't stop myself from crying...

Purchase the DVD and all proceeds will go to the Flight 93 National Memorial Project.

Recommend   Message 74 of 189 in Discussion  

I just watched a special on the Discovery Channel about flight 93 where the men and women attacked the teorrorist before the plane went down in an empty field missing the path of the WhiteHouse. I cried like a baby listening to the details and watching the footage of all the attacks all over again. I will never, ever forget the day that changed the face of this country forever.

May God Bless us and keep us safe.

0 recommendations   Message 75 of 189 in Discussion  

Sent: 8/4/2006 10:35 PM

Recommend   Message 76 of 189 in Discussion  

Quote    Reply   

princessalica

#5 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:28 PM

Recommend   Message 77 of 189 in Discussion  

I just read the entier tread, it made me cry, my heart goes out to all of you in NY, that lived threw this, I am on the west coast, but I have never forgotten, I don't think I ever will, I remember everything about that day, I was sleeping in because I had a late afternoon class, I heard my stepdad from the living room yelling look, the second plane hit. Still in my groogy state I thought he must be talking about a plane crash, a mid-air colision. When I turned on the news, it was so surreal. I cry every time I think about that day, my prayers go out to all of you

Recommend   Message 78 of 189 in Discussion  

It is kinda strange that this thread has pop up already. I was just thinging about it myself

It is a beautiful day in New Hampshire, with temps at 76 and sunny out.  It reminded me of what a gorgous sunny day 9, 11 was. For it was a gorgous day that morning.   I was thinking of how emotionally how Sept. 11th effects us. That time of year is the time a lot of us are having our first days of school. First day of jobs, first day of for example for me bible studies at my church, In a lot of ways, people have said the when school starts it really is the feeling of the new year for a lot people. The excitement of the day, the getting ready for it, and enjoying it. But now I feel like an innocents of the time is gone. That now it feels different this time of year since it happened. . That when we go to these new schedules, that we do it with a more feeling of  "prepare for the worse" and the free feeling of just the excitement of the newness of schedules is tinted.

Anyone else feel that now?

Nellie

Recommend   Message 79 of 189 in Discussion  

We usually do not bring the thread up until Sept.11. But someone just bumped it up

Recommend   Message 80 of 189 in Discussion  

Maybe with all the previews of the movie coming out next week........

I think it's comforting to know we haven't forgotten our heroes. 

Recommend   Message 81 of 189 in Discussion  

I think it's okay that it was bumped up.  There's nothing wrong with people sharing their emotions before Sep.

Recommend   Message 82 of 189 in Discussion  

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it at all!!!!!

Recommend   Message 83 of 189 in Discussion  

Love the pic Joynel, do you mind if I copy it?

Recommend   Message 84 of 189 in Discussion  

I grew up on Long Island, and I was still living there when this tragedy occured.  I remember the morning like it was yesterday, however, at the time I didn't realize how much it affected me. I didn't know anyone personally who was directly affected by it, which is strange because many people who work in the trade center live on Long Island.  A few weeks had past and the vigils and memorials had died down, and I thought I was putting it in the back of my mind.  That was not the case.  I began to have a great deal of trouble sleeping, and so I began to write. Writing was always something that helped me work things out.  What you are about to read was not planned, nor edited, it was just a bunch of words that flowed from my mind onto the paper.  I wrote this poem, and it made me realize how profoundly this event affected me, someone who had no direct relations affected.  I can't image how those of you who did dealt with it.  This poem was read at the LaGuardia Airport 1yr anniversary memorial, and has since been published.  I have received many letters saying how it gave them hope, and I hope it can do the same for many of you.  Here it is:

Indian Summer<o:p></o:p>
 <o:p></o:p>
It was a late summer morning<o:p></o:p>
Although natures very ability to change had been somewhat hampered<o:p></o:p>
By the unusual still summer like weather.<o:p></o:p>
The leaves on the trees still holding on to their summer like colors,<o:p></o:p>
Resisting the inevitable change.<o:p></o:p>
On this morning man would trigger the change.<o:p></o:p>
A change rivaled only by that of nature,<o:p></o:p>
Perhaps even competing with her most fierce anger.<o:p></o:p>

The first, perhaps accidental, yet suspicious,<o:p></o:p>
The second ignited hysteria, filled with mass speculation.<o:p></o:p>
The imminent horror,<o:p></o:p>
A profound horror in itself.<o:p></o:p>
The change would be significant and thorough,<o:p></o:p>
And by the third they knew they would not contribute,<o:p></o:p>
So they rebelled.<o:p></o:p>
Last words mean a lot.<o:p></o:p>
The change was evident even then,<o:p></o:p>
The horror even then.<o:p></o:p>
Although only a small number knew the complexity of it all,<o:p></o:p>
We would all know.<o:p></o:p>
Maybe not to be spared at all,<o:p></o:p>
And never to forget.<o:p></o:p>
The healing time would be aided by God’s hand as we began to grieve,<o:p></o:p>
And eventually grief to anger, then to resolve.<o:p></o:p>
A resolve to bring closure to this event.<o:p></o:p>
The event that attempted to rival nature’s own fury.<o:p></o:p>
We will fight, and we will pray,<o:p></o:p>
And mostly we will hope.<o:p></o:p>
The name forever burned in our minds and our psyche.<o:p></o:p>
The consequences of his actions burned in our hearts.<o:p></o:p>
We will hope that somehow,<o:p></o:p>
When he is eradicated,<o:p></o:p>
We will achieve closure.<o:p></o:p>
This year God has allowed our season of light and warmth <o:p></o:p>
To last longer than in the past.<o:p></o:p>
For he never gives us more than we can handle.<o:p></o:p>
But now he has allowed our seasons to change.<o:p></o:p>
The leaves have both changed and fallen<o:p></o:p>
And we have to make changes too.<o:p></o:p>
Our colors have somewhat changed, and some of us have fallen,<o:p></o:p>
But as with the very trees that have lost their leaves,<o:p></o:p>
We still stand, and will rejuvenate.<o:p></o:p>
This is God’s way.<o:p></o:p>
His spirit will remind us of our inner strength<o:p></o:p>
And give us the will to last and prosper.<o:p></o:p>
The leaves will return.<o:p></o:p>
They will grow, beautify, and die.<o:p></o:p>
But never to deny their everlasting abilities.<o:p></o:p>
Even the infidel could never destroy that.
Kelly (meekswife)
 Recommend   Message 85 of 189 in Discussion  

Five years 

Recommend   Message 86 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 87 of 189 in Discussion  

Kelly, your poem was absolutely beautiful!

Recommend   Message 88 of 189 in Discussion  

I remember that day I was at work I only heard what was going on by radio and it was horrible. But you know people do forget americans act like they have forgotten what happened that day like nothing ever happened and that upsets me terribly.

Recommend   Message 89 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 90 of 189 in Discussion  

I don't post a lot but I remember checking day after day in the thread, looking for the people who live in NYC to check in.  And the joy we all felt  and the tears when finally someone posted.  Little victories every time we found one of our own.  God bless all our families and our GHH family.       Donna

Recommend   Message 91 of 189 in Discussion  

Quote    Reply   

princessalica

#6 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:29 PM

Recommend   Message 92 of 189 in Discussion  

I was at home with my youngest daughter, trying so hard to keep calm so I didn't scare her.... that is a day we will never forget...

Recommend   Message 93 of 189 in Discussion  

I was walking my oldest daughter to the bus stop when it happened.  At the time we were living in Philadelphia so I wasn't very far away from it all.  It was that year that I decide that I wanted to decorate my christmas tree in Red, Silver, and Blue.  Which that is what I have done for the past few years. Here is what it looked like one year.

ps: deby I would love to have the siggie with "April" on it.  I am very proud that I am a very patriotic person and that siggie would mean alot to me.

0 recommendations   Message 94 of 189 in Discussion  

Sent: 9/6/2006 7:33 PM

Recommend   Message 95 of 189 in Discussion  

April, that tree is beautiful.  It has so much meaning on many levels.  We also used blue and silver and got the USA flag balls on our tree.   I love all things patriotic.  We always have a flag out, I love driving and seeing flags!! 

My heart still hurts for all the families including all the friends I have directly affected by it.  Today on GMA they showed all the children that were babies or not born yet that lost their fathers on Sept. 11th.  I cried.  Hugged my son, as I did that morning when he was 6 months old and my husband had to come home for his riot gear to head into the city to
help (he's a cop in Newark, NJ).  My heart is full for all the heroes that day.

Recommend   Message 96 of 189 in Discussion  

April,  I didn't make that siggie.  sorry.  go to Michelle's thread.  i asked for one a couple of days ago.  maybe she'll make you one.  Feel free to snag this one.

Recommend   Message 97 of 189 in Discussion  

Luckycharm, is it OK for me to snag it too?

Recommend   Message 98 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 99 of 189 in Discussion  

Hi All,

I'm glad this thread is here. I was actually crying this morning because I saw Alan Jackson on the Today show and he sang his Sept. 11th song - which makes me teary eyed any time I ever hear it. Without getting into too much detail, I flew on September 11 to Chicago for a business trip. I was supposed to be on a 10 PM flight on Sept. 10 but it was really delayed so we went to the only restaurant in the airport and sat their waiting. We missed the boarding call an our luggage took off on the 9/10 plane, but I flew on September 11 and landed in Chicago at 7 AM. No time to sleep so I went right to my hotel room, cleaned up and headed downstairs to the meeting rooms in the hotel.. basically had no idea what was going on back home.

My husband called my cell phone and told me that a plane flew into one of the Twin Towers. I didn't believe him! I remember running up to the lobby and seeing all these people crowded and big TV's were being pulled out. I had JUST walked through there and nothing was in there! I felt like I was dreaming. I really don't remember much other than watching people around me faint as the Towers fell. We were all there from NJ and NY. Some of the people there worked in the Trade Center. I was worried about my brother and my cousins who were traders and brokers in the city because I couldn't get in touch with anyone. When my mom finally got through to me I found out that my brother was OK but that two of my cousins were missing. I rented the biggest rental car I could get so that people could come back with me (people were renting every car, hotel room, etc., it was chaos). They were saying that Chicago may be hit, etc. It was at the point when the media didn't really know what would happen next. I felt so completely alone and was scared. I just wanted to get out of there and try to get home to be with my family. Everyone was trying to keep me calm. I will never forget the drive back - the highways were desolate and empty and every now and then you'd see people out there waving the American flag.

In the end my cousin that worked for Cantor Fitzgerald was killed. His wife was pregnant with their second child and they had a 3 year old too. Their little 3 year old son had such a hard time accepting that he would never see his daddy again. It was so horrible . Last night when I came home, my husband turned on Primetime and we saw my cousin's wife and the son he never got to meet (who both live in town) on the Diane Sawyer reunion special that she did for the women who were pregnant and lost their husbands on 9/11/01. It broke my heart because my little cousin said something like "My daddy was in a building and they flew an airplane into and killed him." That's exactly what his older brother used to say when it first happened. It was upsetting. Seeing those little kids who don't know one of their parents is sad.

Every year I get upset around this time but I didn't realize what was bothering me until this morning when I heard the Alan Jackson song. I forget the name of it, but it sends chills up my spine. I'm glad this thread was here today because I probably needed to talk about it. 

0 recommendations   Message 100 of 189 in Discussion  

Sent: 9/8/2006 2:08 PM

Recommend   Message 101 of 189 in Discussion  

Yes Nimue.  Absolutely. The teardrop is snaggable for everyone.

Recommend   Message 102 of 189 in Discussion  

Danalauren - You and your family are in my thoughts.

I've been a little on edge the last week or so too, and just yesterday realized it's because of the 9/11 anniversary coming up.

I had taken Sept 10th and 11th off from work - first time in months I had taken any time off.  On Monday I was up early and went non-stop all day getting caught up on errands, house work, getting the car serviced, etc.  I promised myself I would relax and spoil myself on Tuesday. 

I woke up that day and made a pot of coffee, cinnamon rolls, grabbed the paper and took them all back to bed.  The day was gorgeous.  I had GMA on the TV, the cats were lying at my feet, and I literally had just said outloud "life is good".  And all of a sudden they went to a live shot of the first Tower having just been hit.  My stomach rolled because I knew that for a hole that large, in that building, it was way more than a small plane.  And it couldn't have been an accident.

And then, as I watched, I saw the second plane hit the other Tower.  I was absolutely numb for several minutes. Then I went into a sort of auto pilot mode and started checking on all our sales guys at work (all of them were on planes that day - two from Boston and one from NJ).  I also had to track down one of my brothers who travels about three weeks out of each month.  Everyone was safe.

My boss' neighbors were on one of the planes that hit the Towers and I had many business contacts in the Towers, several of whom were lost.  I also dated a few times a guy who lost his parents on a plane that day.  He had become dangerously self-destructive and I had to walk away, but I often wonder how he's doing.

Although I will never forget, I do hope that one day this anniversary no longer elicits the physical reaction I still seem to experience.

Recommend   Message 103 of 189 in Discussion  

I think that everyone in this country remembers EXACTLY where they were when the tragic events happen, and IMO no one will ever forget.  Fortunately for me, I didn't lose anyone in those attacks.  While I think that no one should ever forget that day, and always hold a tribute, people need to move on.  We are fortunate enough to live in America and this event was the worst in our history...but there are so many other countries that live with this situation on the day by day basis.  I am so greatful to be an American, and my heart and prayers go out tothose that were lost and their families. Let us not lose sight of the fact that we are still the greatest power on earth and God willing will never have to face a tragidylike this again.

Recommend   Message 104 of 189 in Discussion  

Dear all,

I cannot believe it has been 5 years since the horrific tragedy that took place here where my home is, NYC and how the this horrific event spread through and affected our whole country.
Such acts of hatred are just still just so surreal to me, but so sadly they are very real and we must never ever forget those that lost their lives, the incredible acts of heroism and the way this country banned together as a nation during such a terrible time during and in the wake of 9\11\2001.
As well here is to our troops who are out there on that "wall" protecting our blanket freedom and our very lives.

mytwins

Recommend   Message 105 of 189 in Discussion  

Yes Nimue.  Absolutely. The teardrop is snaggable for everyone.
Thanks!

Recommend   Message 106 of 189 in Discussion  

I still cry about 9/11.

Any time I watch anything about it...like the latest story about the sick first responders...I cry.

It was an incredibly sad day. Well, traumatic, I couldn't sleep for weeks.   I can never forget seeing the second tower crumble. I thought at the time it was because Manhattan is my home town, but I also cry over Katrina.  So I think it was the unimaginable human tragedy and loss. 

Quote    Reply   

princessalica

#7 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:29 PM

Recommend   Message 107 of 189 in Discussion  

Here is my story:  I use to work for Cantor Fitzgerald on the 103rd floor of One World Trade Center.  I started working there in the spring of 1998, and left the firm in January 2001.

I'm not sure if I ever responded to this, but I used to work for Johnson & Higgins, which later merged with Marsh a& McLennan, which was also on the 100th floor of the WTC.  I hadn't worked there in 8 years, but a number of former co-workers died that morning, and their bodies were never found.  I am happy to read that you were reunited with your sister, because I know her firm lost hundreds of people. 

Recommend   Message 108 of 189 in Discussion  

My son, James.

My heart breaks for all of the victims and families of 9/11.
       God bless you all and you're in my prayers.  

Recommend   Message 109 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 110 of 189 in Discussion  

I still have the same feelings I did that day in 2001, that I do now. The images will never leave my heart & head. I guess the best thing to post is my thoughts from last year that I blogged.

My poem (that's not very good but oh well):

Hearts were broken
Lives shattered
People all stood together as one
The country went on
New York still stood still
days, months or years
We still stand still
The memories of that day
Still within our minds
Try to close my eyes
I still see all the pain
4 years later
I still feel the same
God Bless all those who lost their lives in the tragedy that shook us & did in some ways break us. That day, might not have broke our pride in our City. However, it did & still does break our hearts. Some many of forgotten, but most will never forget. The day New York City, wasn't the city that never sleeps.. But the City that stood still in time. Those images will never go away. They will always be there. Even after many of us are gone. They will still be there, that day will be taught to our children. As what? I just hope not, some day that New York went under attack. I hope they show the hero's of that day & there after. The many faces that were lost & WHY they were lost. The day our Sky Line changed forever & NEVER will be the same. Yes, we can go on from that day, but how can anyone possibly forget that day? I pray they never do. If not to remember what happened, just to remember the people who are hero's, at least they all are to me.
God Bless all, much love to everyone!!

first one is a banner I made last year. Second is a WP I made 3 years ago:

Recommend   Message 111 of 189 in Discussion  

September 11 has always and will always be a day that is important to me.

It just happens to be my birthday and like everyone 5yrs. ago I to remember what I was doing watching the Today show live while the events unfolded in shock and scared since my mother was supposed to be on a plane at that time to visit me for my birthday and my husband and children at the store buying me my b-day cake not aware of what was going on.

My husband is a Special Forces soldier and has been gone a lot since that day and I am proud of him we all lost so much that day as a country and personnally. 

My heart is with all of the families that suffered that day
                                    and

to all of you on this board we talk about things everday about GH etc. but events like this bond us more than just post on the net big hugs to all of you.

Recommend   Message 112 of 189 in Discussion  

September 11th is a day that is forever etched in my memory.  That morning, I was running late to leave for school and I remember rushing around my house to set a tape to record GH that afternoon.  Once I finished programming the VCR, I flipped back to Good Morning America and saw the clip of the first plane hitting the towers.  They were still calling it an accident and I went off to school.  I remember sitting in my first hour class, listening to the radio as the details unfolded.  The entire day was so surreal.

It wasn't until a week later when I remembered the tape I had set that morning - the tape that instead of having an hour of GH had an hour of news reports.

I'll always remember those who lost their lives that day and those who continue to risk their lives keep us all safe.

Recommend   Message 113 of 189 in Discussion  

I still remember 9/11 as if it were yesterday.  I was 4 months pregnant with my daughter and I did not sleep very well through my pregnancy.  I lived  in Oakland, Ca at the time I woke up at around 5 a.mish and was watching our local early morning news when they made the announecment that "something" hit the WTC.  At first they thought it was a small plane that hit.  I remember then calling my bank to see what checks had cleared and while I was one the phone with the bank they were showing the towers on the news and the reporter was talking and the second plane hit.  The reporter kept talking like he did not see what just had happened.  I remember laying there thinking "did no one else just see this other plane hit???"  At that point the reporter acknowledged what just happened.  I got up and started to get dressed and then they started talking about an explosion at the Pentagon.  When it was finally revealed that another plane struck the Pentagon the first thought that popped into my head was my kid sister.  She was going to college in DC and I freaked out.  She would not have normally been near the Pentagon BUT just the idea of her being in DC had me terrified.  I tried calling her dorm and her cell and could not get her.  Finanly she called me crying that she wanted to come home.  While we were on the phone we were watching the news together and while we were talking the first tower collapsed.  She stopped mid conversation and said "is the tower breaking?" We could not believe what we were looking at.  The whole day was surreal.  I still, still can not believe it happened.   Those of you that live in NYC I commend you for your strength and perserverance during that time.  You all deserve to be applauded for being able to get through that time.  

Recommend   Message 114 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 115 of 189 in Discussion  

Thank-you all so much for sharing your stories, your poems, and your best wishes to those of us that live here in NYC.  It truly is so tragic and yet the bond that was formed here in our city still so touches me.

I remember the day so well - it will be forever etched in my brain.
It was the first day of the twinks day of school and so I was taking them and it was early and I was going to go and drop them off and come back for them as they only had a first day orientation.

I took my girls to their class rooms and went down to the lobby to say hello to some of the other parents before doing what I was going to do and then the Head Master came into the lobby and asked for our attention - we could tell it was not good  - she told us she had very little information, but it seems as if a plane had crashed into the one of the towers of the WTC.  You heard everyone gasp and then the cries of my husband, my sister, my brother, and on and on and then we were told to try and remain calm and that the best thing for the children was for them to stay in their orientation and that they would bring us news at they heard things.

I waited a bit and then I was tired of not hearing anything with family that worked in both towers and now there was no cell coverage and the school phone lines weren't working and it was just very odd to say the least.

Well, I went outside to see if I could get someone to let me hear their car radio to find out anything and then I saw it  - I was on Madison and 90th you can see if you know the city a clear view down town - and I saw the black smoke fill the air and then there was nothing but smoke until there was a firey glow in the sky and again a lot of smoke  - it was then that I learned that the firey glow was the other tower being hit and the smoke and the wait as the towers stood a while before they started to crumble down - these events mind you were taking place very quickly  - I now knew this was not an accident this was serious and really awful - I listened to the radio with a few others from a car outside the school and heard that the yes, the other tower was hit and it too was going to come down - and at the same time other air planes had been hijacked and one hit the Pentagon, that had been evacuated as well as the White House, but another plane still was unaccounted for and presumed to be hijacked and so it was - United flight 93 - it was headed towards the White House they believed - but the passengers aboard knowing they were not going to survive were no longer just travelers headed somewhere  - they became heroes  - they stormed the cock pit and made sure that the plane didn't hit its target, but went down in a rural area of PA and there were no survivors.

Our mayor happened to be at the WTC that morning as well and had to be evacuated along with countless others, but not enough  - the towers went down taking so many innocent lives - more then many wars  - and these hijaked planes  - took the lives of the innocent - then those that lost their lives just because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time when the most horrific acts of hatred took place on our soil  - in our city - the greatest city in the world they say and I agree.  And then those that were trained to rescue, but this wasn't an ordinary rescue mission - the countless fire fighters, policemen, volunteers who risked their lives or gave up their lives to save others or at even just try.  All of these people are the bravest of the brave and will forever be remembered and should never be forgotten.

Let them not have died in vain - let them at least represent to generations over and over that hatred is just hateful - it serves no purpose it is a waste a tragedy  - the innocent gone and the survivors left to try to make something of what was once their lives - and the fallen heroes and the the survivors who live with the vivid memories and nightmares  - things will never be the same.

I heard about things happening as if it were a dimino effect and finally I got my girls and I was trying to reach my family - and I couldn't get any phone lines out or my cell to work - nothing - we went home - I held them tight as it was just like a war zone - people were crying and screaming in the streets and running up the avenunes and the smoke and smell and soot came all the way up to as far East as we are - it was crazy in the streets and I had no idea where the rest of my family was or what was really happening.

My girls were young I just focused as best I could on getting them home safe and sound - we got home and I found out that my family was all safe - thank goodness - they were all diverted - the schools were not notified and so everyone was waiting for me  - wondering and worrying where I was - I got home and nothing was working - we had no phones, cells, TVs nothing that first that here - and we couldn't open the windows for weeks the smell of smoke was so awful - but the thing that did work was my PC - it doesn't work on the best of days, but that day it did and I tell you it was truly amazing - so many of you  - you here at GHH and the friends I have made here and online through GH as well as others  - starting threads knowing I was from NYC and my husband in finance and then those that have my email - my box was full - mytwins please check in we are so worried about you - it was unreal - I then felt the magnitude of it all - and cried - weeped  - the battery radio we have telling us the death count on the hour - it was horrific - I typed to everyone through my tears and the #s of deaths and the missing mounting as I did  - but wow I am today still blown away by the care that was shown to me and my fellow NYers and the way this city banned together  - it truly was a site to see - and forever etched in my brain the vision of those burning buildings, the smell that lasted for weeks, the losses and the heroes fallen and surviving to tell the story.

Please never forget - let them live on inside each of us and give thanks to our troops who sit on that "wall" and protect our freedom and our very lives.

United we Stand - and We Are Still Standing.

Recommend   Message 116 of 189 in Discussion  

My thoughts and prayers are with all of us, especially thoose of you who lived it and most profoundly touched by it

Recommend   Message 117 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 118 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 119 of 189 in Discussion  

Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers for those who died, were left behind and for our country.  This was a day no one will forget and changed that us forever.  I went to the site after they had these boards up with information about the tragedy, people who were lost and pictures.  It was so powerful that I started crying but I realized that I wasn't the only one there with tears in my eyes. 

I am truly sorry for those who lost a friend, family member and other loved ones in this tragedy.

Recommend   Message 120 of 189 in Discussion  

My cousin, who lost her mother in-law on 9/11 and all the others who lost someone that day,  my thoughts and prayers are still with you today!

Recommend   Message 121 of 189 in Discussion  

Thoughts and Prayers to all Americans and all who lost that day. 

Quote    Reply   

princessalica

#8 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:30 PM

Recommend   Message 122 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 123 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 124 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 125 of 189 in Discussion  

September 11th will always be etched in my brain...not only as a day of tragedy, but also a day that made me remember how proud I was to be an American. To see how people reached out...it no longer mattered what part of the country you were from because this touched all of our hearts and lives...let us always remember 9/11...to mourn those we lost, and to have pride in being American...To all those in NYC and anyone who lost someone 

Recommend   Message 126 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 127 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 128 of 189 in Discussion  

Prayers for everyone who lost a loved one on this day or to those who lost a love one fighting in our military since this day.  

Recommend   Message 129 of 189 in Discussion  

I was in the 10th Grade on September 11th. I attended a boarding school and didn't have a class until about noon. I remember it was a Tuedsay. My roommate burst into the dorm room and woke me up a little after 8:30 (I think). She told me I HAD to get up...something horrible was happening. She was scared. I groggily walked to the lobby and there it was. That first tower was burning...badly. And I watched in horror as the 2nd plane flew into the building.
Ironically, my Hall Director had on a I Love NYC tee-shirt with the NYC Skyline. It was so shocking. A lot of my classmates were crying. A lone tear went down my cheek. I was scared and confused. Especially in the beginning when people feared other major US cities would be hit. A classmate of mine, her aunt and uncle were headed towards LA for her cousins wedding---they died on one of the flights. It was too unreal that someone from a small town in Alabama knew someone on those planes.
I know I won't ever forget 9/11 and I'm sure it will be the event that defines my generation. Just like my 6th grade history teacher had us ask our parents where they were when JFK was assassinated, I'm sure my children will ask me about 9/11. I guess my challenge is What will I tell them??? I wouldn't consider myself a "patriotic" person but for me personally, September 11th challenged my spirit and I think the spirit of America. I have never felt more unity in this country than I did that year after 9/11. I hope people never forget that spirit. What it felt like to be so connected.....

Recommend   Message 130 of 189 in Discussion  

I know I won't ever forget 9/11 and I'm sure it will be the event that defines my generation. Just like my 6th grade history teacher had us ask our parents where they were when JFK was assassinated, I'm sure my children will ask me about 9/11. I guess my challenge is What will I tell them??? I wouldn't consider myself a "patriotic" person but for me personally, September 11th challenged my spirit and I think the spirit of America. I have never felt more unity in this country than I did that year after 9/11. I hope people never forget that spirit. What it felt like to be so connected.....

Adrienne, I agree with you on that one.  I too was in 10th grade, and Sept. 11th was the single event that has defined my life.  I do not mean it in an over-dramatic way, but a part of my childhood ended that day and I became an adult.  I watched my country suffer and then come together to heal in the American spirit - forever changed.

Recommend   Message 131 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 132 of 189 in Discussion  

Sigh....a sad day.

My prayers and thoughts are with everyone effected by today's memories and events.

This day will always feel like it just happened yesterday

Recommend   Message 133 of 189 in Discussion  

That day will forever be etched in my memory.  My thoughts and prayers go out to all of my fellow New Yorkers as well as all those around the world who may have lost a loved one or to those who have just been profoundly affected by this very sad day in our history.  WE WILL NEVER FORGET.  

Also to the:

NYPD
FDNY
PAPD
We will never forget your heroic efforts that fateful day.  We are forever in your gratitute.

0 recommendations   Message 134 of 189 in Discussion  

Sent: 9/11/2006 10:54 AM

Recommend   Message 135 of 189 in Discussion  

Keeping a candle lit today, all day.

Recommend   Message 136 of 189 in Discussion  

I also will never forget that day. I live on the west coast, but if felt as if it happened nearby. My husband woke me up shortly after 6 am and told me that an airplane had hit the WTC. I got up and went to the front room to watch the coverage. I told my husband instantly that it was no accident. My father and unlce were pilots and I had been married to a pilot so I knew that planes don't fly into buildings accidentally on cool, clear mornings. If fact, the weather conditions on 9-11 were ideal for flying. Even though  I knew it was no accident, I could not have guessed what was really happening. They were still reporting that it was a small airplane so I guessed that someone had just decided to commit spectacular suicide. Oh how I wish it were only that.

Shortly, the second jet hit the other tower and I knew it was a terror attack. I had a friend from Australia that had just arrived in New York City the week before for a 5 year stint working here. His office was in the North Tower. I called his mum and she had not heard from him yet. Lucky for him, he had a training event in another part of town that day.

One of my girlfriends had a sibling and three cousins who should have been involved. One of the cousins was scheduled to fly out on one of the doomed planes. Her plans changed at the very last minute. The two other cousins worked at the WTC, but both got out alive. Her sister had a job interview at the WTC that morning in an office that was close to where the first plane hit. She was there and found out that the interviewer had called in sick that day. She had rescheduled and had just left when the first plane hit. She was still on the street and saw it all.

A very good friend of mine was a Colonel in the army stationed at the pentagon. He was a liason to the capital. He was there that day that the third plane hit the Army section of the pentagon. He survived but watched many of his friends die.

My friends were incredibly lucky that day but this rememberance day is for the survivors as well as for those that lost their lives. It is for all of us, because when it comes down to what is really important, it is realizing that we are family and while we may bicker much of the year, we really all are on the same side. 9-11 reminds us of a day that we all come together as a family and a country. It also reminded us that we don't need to make up hero's, there are many just down the street at the nearest fire station or police station.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

princessalica

#9 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:30 PM

Recommend   Message 137 of 189 in Discussion  

I will never forget.... Today is such an eery day ...
I pray for all those who lost a loved one.
I cant get enough of news, so Im always watching these specials and they are so sad...

I watched on Discovery the other nite, United 93 the flight that fought back (... not a good thing to watch when your husband is due to fly home the next day.....) ugh

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Recommend   Message 138 of 189 in Discussion  

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that was effected on this tragic day

Recommend   Message 139 of 189 in Discussion  

I was standing on the street looking at the 1st tower
smoking when I saw the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower.

I watched live as they fell to the ground and then walked to my apartment.

I couln't even read through the Terrorist Attack? thread, it made me
sick to my stomach.  Every year on September 11th,
NYC is always very windy.  It's eerie.

Recommend   Message 140 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 141 of 189 in Discussion  

Erica I read your account of what happened at the beginning of this thread and it sounded like your brain just could not process what happened.  That is why I said I admire all of you in NYC that had to live through that.  You still live through it everyday just being in the city.  You all have to be the strongest people I know of.  My heart goes out to all of those that lost someone.  My sister was in DC so I know what it is like to feel abstract terror at the thought of someone you love being gone.  I will never forget that day.

Recommend   Message 142 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 143 of 189 in Discussion  

Dawn, Every time I think of what I saw, I seriously start to cry.

I try not to envision it anymore.  I just can't.

I reread my post and started crying again.

Recommend   Message 144 of 189 in Discussion  

Erica 

Recommend   Message 145 of 189 in Discussion  

September 11!! My heart goes out to all those lost or those that lost loved ones!!

Erica, my heart goes out to you and all NYC!!  Watching
it happen on TV is horrible and makes me break down, but being there well I can only imagine!! What a very sad day!!!!

Recommend   Message 146 of 189 in Discussion  

I took the day off (it is our wedding anniversary today) but we expect to be melancholy around this day due to all the memories and the ceremonies every year.

What I came to say was that this seriously just needs to be a national holiday. Not kidding.....I know we do not get the day off for the Pearl Harbor attack, but I know that is honored on Veteran's Day (and do we even get that day off anymore?). But, I just think that national TV stops at points, news shows cover the ceremonies all morning and the President is speaking tonight. It just has a "hallowed, sacred" feel to it and I really do feel that it needs to be a day off in this country.

JMO

Recommend   Message 147 of 189 in Discussion  

ITA it should be made a national holiday,  Last night on CBS I watched 9/11 which was a domomernrty that two brothers where making on a rookie fireman startig in July of that year, and they just happened to be with the fire chief that was first on the secne that day, it was amazing and heartbreaking to watch. I live on the west coast and that day I had a microbilogy class at 1pm with our first test so I sleep in I woke up around 10am west cost to my stepdad yelling to either my mom or the tv. " See theres the first plane, look theres the second plane hit it" my first thought was two plane most of cloided in the air. I turned on my TV and it read " America is Uder Attack" It seamed so sureal. I went to class that afternoon. the college was closed. My micro teacher was head of the science dept. and they decied that they were clancleing all Science classes for the week.
My Prayers are with all of you

Recommend   Message 148 of 189 in Discussion  

Today was an especially tough day for me and not so much because anyone close to me was directly affected by the events 5 years ago but because for the first time since I started teaching, I had to explain our moment of silence to a class of first graders.  Its kind of weird when I think that the thirty children sitting in front of me had only been about a year old when this happened.  I told them that on this day, five years ago, when they were still babies, there was a really bad accident (a crash).  I explained that men that don't like us very much killed alot of people on purpose (things being done by accident or on purpose is a HUGE deal in first grade).  I told them that about 3,000 people died, which to them might as well have been the whole world.  While explaining this I began to cry and although it made me feel VERY vulnerable in front of them, I let them know that it was okay because this is how very sad it was.  It makes adults want to cry that so many people were lost that day.  I also told them of all of the heroes that emerged that day...some that survived and some that unfortunately did not but that no matter what, a hero is a hero and should be remembered by being quiet for a minute.  One girl raised her hand and told the class that she knew how it happened...She said, "Bad men took planes and flew them through buildings" (its kind of scary, how easily they can say it...it really is true...from the mouths of babes).  That led me to an explanation of how safe planes are now (since I definitely didn't want them to be afraid of flying).  After our moment of silence I told the kids that I was very proud of them for acting like adults by remembering heroes of that day...It was truly one of those lessons that they didn't tell you how to teach in college...Life lessons are most often the hardest to learn and the hardest to teach.    

*Instilled in our memories forever...Never forget 9/11*

Recommend   Message 149 of 189 in Discussion  

Just wanted to say Good Night. Today was a hard day.  I am however, proud that the country showed the proper respect today, to the people/heroes that died, and the families that still need our support. 

I was comforted to look around my town to see the flags flowing, the children wearing red, white and blue, the pins, and the flags that were lowered today.  The memorials in my town and the town next to me were active and beautiful. 

Life goes on, but it is nice to know that we are all still carrying them in our hearts. 
 Recommend   Message 150 of 189 in Discussion  

I was at the license berau today and all the sudden i start hearing bag pipes playing the national anthem next door. my friend askes me why we were hearing bagpipes.i looked at the clock it was 9:59 am!the time the first tower fell 5 yrs ago. 

Recommend   Message 151 of 189 in Discussion  

Quote    Reply   

princessalica

#10 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:31 PM

Recommend   Message 152 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 153 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 154 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 155 of 189 in Discussion  

I live in New Jersey...parallel to 72nd Street across the Hudson River.  I have a clear view of the city and am very lucky to call this place my home.  I work in the city but had MOnday / Tuesday off that week.  My best friend, who is like my sister, just so happened to have moved into her new apartment on 57th and 1st just 2 weeks prior.  We had been shopping all day - and she was delaying going home.  At some point, I told her just to stay and we settled in for the night.  My father called me in the morning  - he told me of the first plane...and I didn't believe him.....until I turned on the news.  And then the 2nd plane hit - and we knew it wasn't an accident.  For the rest of the day, my friend and I pulled out couch and watched TV.  When the first tower fell.....I remember gasping and crying.....Never thinking that this could ever happen......and it looked so devestating on TV that I wanted to go outside and see for myself.  People were silent and the only noise was the news from people's car radios.  I just knew that if the 2nd one were to fall, I just couldn't bare to see it, so my friend and I went back inside.  People were coming home covered in dust, and my heart went out to them, because they had lived the horror first hand.   I can still look across the river and see the stream of red lights, one right after another coming down the West Side Highway.....its still fresh and the fear still exists.  I love this city and have no plans to leave it anytime soon....but so much sadness fills this day.  My prayers go out to all that lived through it, all that lost loved ones, and to all the men and women who went up, instead of getting out.  God Bless.

Recommend   Message 156 of 189 in Discussion  

0 recommendations   Message 157 of 189 in Discussion  

Sent: 9/11/2007 4:20 AM

Recommend   Message 158 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 159 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 160 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 161 of 189 in Discussion  

God Bless the USA

Recommend   Message 162 of 189 in Discussion  

Woke up this morning, grabbed my first cup of coffee and immediately turned on the TV. Must of forgotten what day it was, or maybe it was because I hadn’t yet drank my first cup of coffee.
First thing I saw........Tower falling.......as I grabbed the remote control......was stopped dead in my tracks by what the guest was saying.
Six years ago, wouldn't have thought that "Never Forgetting" wasn’t enough. Who could have imagined a day when one has to worry about how that day will be portrayed to the generations that come.
Didn’t feel fear or apprehension that day, just anger......red hot burning anger, and a lot of disgust. Have felt the same thing many times since when reflecting back. Probably not as much as today.
The guest on the news program said.........Today, if you have a child in school who has to do a report on September 11th and goes to a search engine to do their research.......most of the first sites they will hit on are all about how this government manufactured this atrocity........he went on to say.........doesn’t matter how often OBL has come out and claimed the glory of planning and accomplishing the destruction of the towers, there is a belief outside the US (and inside, it appears) that it wasn’t him but our very own government.
After taking a few minutes to check out what the guest said, got an education. I guess as we all came together here at GHH, prayed, worried, called out to those members we knew were in NYC.......held our breath till they checked in, I guess each and everyone of us blinked as that second plane hit that tower, otherwise we would have seen those CIA agents parachuting away.......and of course, there is the "steel doesn’t melt" issue (big shock to the foundry workers).
After today "Never Forgetting" won’t be enough.
There were real live people on those planes whose families still suffer and mourn.
There were children born after one parent had been killed by a group of people who have taken the Koran and turned it upside down.
There were hero’s that day....and many days following.
I won’t forget........AND I won’t allow the insane conspiracies to go unchallenged.

Recommend   Message 163 of 189 in Discussion  

You stay up for 16 hours He stays up for days on end. You take a warm shower to help you wake up. He goes days or weeks without running water. You complain of a "headache", and call in sick. He gets shot at as others are hit, and keeps moving forward. You put on your anti war/don't support the troops shirt, and go meet up with your friends. He still fights for your right to wear that shirt. You make sure you're cell phone is in your pocket. He clutches the cross hanging on his chain next to his dog tags. You talk trash about your "buddies" that aren't with you. He knows he may not see some of his buddies again. You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls. He patrols the streets, searching for insurgents and terrorists. You complain about how hot it is. He wears his heavy gear, not daring to take off his helmet to wipe his brow. You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong. He doesn't get to eat today. Your maid makes your bed and washes your clothes. He wears the same things for weeks, but makes sure his weapons are clean. You go to the mall and get your hair redone. He doesn't have time to brush his teeth today. You're angry because your class ran 5 minutes over. He's told he will be held over an extra 2 months. You call your girlfriend and set a date for tonight. He waits for the mail to see if there is a letter from home. You hug and kiss your girlfriend, like you do everyday. He holds his letter close and smells his love's perfume. You roll your eyes as a baby cries. He gets a letter with pictures of his new child, and wonders if they'll ever meet. You criticize your government, and say that war never solves anything. He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own people and remembers why he is fighting. You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of men like him. He hears the gunfire, bombs and screams of the wounded. You see only what the media wants you to see. He sees the broken bodies lying around him. You are asked to go to the store by your parents. You don't. He does exactly what he is told even if it puts his life in danger. You stay at home and watch TV. He takes whatever time he is given to call, write home, sleep, and eat. You crawl into your soft bed, with down pillows, and get comfortable. He tries to sleep but gets woken by mortars and helicopters all night long.

Recommend   Message 164 of 189 in Discussion  

"Wake Me Up When September Ends"
Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
wake me up when september ends
like my fathers come to pass
seven years has gone so fast
here comes the rain again
falling from the stars
drenched in my pain again
becoming who we are
as my memory rests
but never forgets what I lost
summer has come and passed
the innocent can never last
ring out the bells again
like we did when spring began
here comes the rain again
falling from the stars
drenched in my pain again
becoming who we are
as my memory rests
but never forgets what I lost
Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
like my father's come to pass
twenty years has gone so fast
_____

Years may pass...7 in fact, but may we never forget what we lost and who we lost.

Recommend   Message 165 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 166 of 189 in Discussion  

Quote    Reply   

princessalica

#11 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:31 PM

Recommend   Message 167 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 168 of 189 in Discussion  

Here SHE is, the USS New York, made from the World Trade Center!

USS New York
It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel
from the World Trade Center .
It is the fifth in a new class of warship -
designed for missions th at include
special operations against terrorists.
It will carry a crew of 360 sailors
and 700 combat-ready Marines to
be delivered ashore by
helicopters and assault craft.
Steel from the World Trade Center was melted
down in a foundry in Amite , LA to
cast the ship's bow section. When
it was poured into the molds on
Sept 9, 2003, 'those big rough
steelworkers treated it with
total reverence,' recalled
Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing,
who was there. 'It was a spiritual
moment for everybody there.'
Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager,
said that when the trade center steel
first arrived, he touched it with his
hand and the 'hair on my neck
stood up.' 'It had a big meaning
to it for all of us,' he said.
'They knocked us down.
They can't keep us down.
We're going to be back.'
The ship's motto? 'Never Forget'

Recommend   Message 169 of 189 in Discussion  

I will never forget!!
I am having this nervous feeling like I usually get this time every year.. my body shivers.. my blood feels cold..
I did not loose a loved one that day but my heart goes out to each and everyone who has..
I live in NY.. love the city..
I am thankful for those who on that dreadful day risks their lives to save others and for those who also on that day and everyday since is risking their lives so myself along with the people of this great country can feel safe and live their lives and enjoy the freedom that we sometimes all take for granted..
I will never forget..
Nicola

Recommend   Message 170 of 189 in Discussion  

I don't see how any American can forget this terrible day.
I can still see the image of the 2nd plane going into the tower.
I had never before witnessed such an evil act.
I pray for all of those involved and affected by this tragedy.

Recommend   Message 171 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 172 of 189 in Discussion  

We shall never forget that September Morn
When life as we knew it changed forever.

Prayers for our nation. Prayers for all those lost in this senseless act. Prayers for those left behind.

Recommend   Message 173 of 189 in Discussion  

Recommend   Message 174 of 189 in Discussion  

Hey mytwins, beautiful banner.  Is it snaggable?  I'd love to put a copy on my blog to commemorate today.

Recommend   Message 175 of 189 in Discussion  

I will always remember            9/11/2001

Recommend   Message 176 of 189 in Discussion  

7 years ago I stood in front of my office buliding, and watched the 2nd plane hit the WTC. I watched people jump from the buildings. Images I will never forget. I hope America never forgets too.

Recommend   Message 177 of 189 in Discussion  

Eds1971, I too stood in front of my building near the cementary and watch a plane fly through my building.  I also saw people jumping from windows as fireman ran past me.  As I watched the second plane fly through the second building as I ran for safety.  I will never forget that day, and the days that follow.  As I look at my window tonight at two lights instead of what was.

I will never forget.

Recommend   Message 178 of 189 in Discussion  

Pf - At least for me...people jumping out of the buildings was the worst for me. I had (still do) have a hard time rapping my mind around it.

I ended up running/walking 100 blocks to where I lived at the time ( also I was pregnant at the time).

What an unbelievable event.  

Recommend   Message 179 of 189 in Discussion  

Although this was clearly an American tragedy, the loss you feel goes beyond borders.  I am not from the USA (I'm from Toronto) but I, too, will never forget 9/11.  I remember the exact moment I heard about it, and I remember being glued to CNN for weeks afterwards.

I went to NYC this summer (hadn't been there since before the attack) and we spent almost an entire afternoon at the WTC location.  I remember thinking about how quiet and incredibly sombre it was for being the middle of the day in a bustling city.....and the size of the hole in the ground was unreal.  There's a memorial centre and fire station right beside the site and - of all the things we did during our trip - this was my absolute favourite part.  There's a wall of mementos, pictures, and notes.....I think I cried all through the memorial centre.

The scope of loss was always very real for me but that day I saw firsthand the families and lives behind all of those who were lost. 

My thoughts and love to those who lost someone dear to them that day.  I think we were all changed that day - I know I was.

Recommend   Message 180 of 189 in Discussion  

Eds it was awful.  I ended up on the First Avenue bus to my apartment, feeling helpless was the worse feeling.  Hoping and praying for my friends and colleagues.  My cousin had just found out she was pregnant the day before, she was on the 34 of Tower One and was able to get out and to Brooklyn.

I still have nightmares.

Patti

Recommend   Message 181 of 189 in Discussion  

Pf (I'm Ellen BTW)

I truly was so on edge today. Not thinking something was going to happen, but just remembering I guess. I wanted to watch the news coverage this morning but with 2 little ones I did not. Just felt terrible the whole day. So many  memories. I have so many images that just pop up today.

Quote    Reply   

princessalica

#12 [url]

Jan 22 09 1:32 PM

Recommend   Message 182 of 189 in Discussion  

Forty slate angels grace the memorial site - each marked with the name of one of the forty heroes of Flight 93. A nearby angel plaque reads:
"Few can begin to understand what drives
men to such acts of desperation.
But the World must now know
the resolve of this great nation is both
unshakeable and unstoppable.
This ordinary Americans took
extraordinary steps to help their
fellow Americans and by doing so
gave the greatest sacrifice.
And so these Angels of Freedom stand
not as a memorial to those who died,
But rather as a celebration of their lives
for which we will be forever in their debt.
God Bless the Families and Friends of the
True Heroes of September 11, 2001."
 Recommend   Message 183 of 189 in Discussion  

As a 26 year old teacher that was an education student sitting through "Teaching Special Needs Students" in college when the attacks took place, I sometimes feel under-qualified to approach a subject, such as 9-11, with my students.  However, I know how imporatant it is....

I remember this day, each year by retelling the events to my students (second graders).  Today was no different but as with every year, fielded a variety of questions.  The one that got me the most was, "But what about the people that took over the planes, didn't they die too?  Why would they do that?"  I literally got tears in my eyes explaining to my class that unfortunately some people disliked us so much that they didn't mind dying, just to see us hurt.  The response I got to that was, "But if you don't like somebody, shouldn't you just tell them instead of doing something to hurt them?"  Clearly, I started to cry and had to explain to my students that I was just sad that any of it had to happen.  I continued to explain to my class that although parts of it seem scary now, it is history and will be in their textbooks when they get to Jr. High and that History is important to learn.

I think the saddest part to me is to look around at my students, most of whom were born in 2001, and realize that they will be my last class that would have been born before the 9-11 attacks...every class I will teach after this year will be my post 9-11 students (can't believe there is such a thing!)...all of them will learn about 9-11 as a part of history and not nocessarily something they are connected to....

*Since I'm a teacher, I can't do anything (even post a message) without referencing a book...The book Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey by Maira Kalman is a great book to use with students and children (adults too...I cry every year reading it).  Although it does discuss the 9-11 attacks, there is a great positive message that really helps youngsters understand the enormity of that day...in their own way.*

Recommend   Message 184 of 189 in Discussion  

Pf (I'm Ellen BTW)

I truly was so on edge today. Not thinking something was going to happen, but just remembering I guess. I wanted to watch the news coverage this morning but with 2 little ones I did not. Just felt terrible the whole day. So many  memories. I have so many images that just pop up today.

Ellen, I am Patti.  I tried to go about work today, but it is not the same.  As I go past my local firehouse this morning, there was flowers out front, and next door at the police station, officers in their dress uniforms heading to ground zero. A reminder that today is not an ordinary day, and there is an ache in your heart.  I am just glad the day is over, and tomorrow is another day.

Recommend   Message 185 of 189 in Discussion  

0 recommendations   Message 186 of 189 in Discussion  

Sent: 9/11/2008 11:42 PM

Recommend   Message 187 of 189 in Discussion  

Here is one of the 9/11 threads.  There's another one that Shirley started on the day of the attack.  

Recommend   Message 188 of 189 in Discussion  

I have read this one. I will move it if the managers feel they want it and you guys tell me you want it. I just not sure if I feel we need it to move. I do invite anyone if they like it. to copy it on their own Word document. There are very touching stories on how 911 effected people, but it was written 3 years after the fact. So it is touching reflections. 

Recommend   Message 189 of 189 in Discussion  

Nellie,
The Terrorist Attack thread was the one I hunted for and couldn't find.  And you found it and moved it already.  

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Sep 11 11 10:10 AM

Want to remind you all this post is here to read out reaction when 911 happened on the day it happened and the days afterward.

Take care and God bless, ♥♥Nellie♥♥ DOL club member

Quote    Reply   

ghhshirley

Administrator

#15 [url]

Sep 11 13 4:24 PM

Watch One World Trade Center rise (also known as Freedom Tower), in the ghost shadow of the original World Trade Towers. and change the NYC skyline forever.

Click your heels three times and repeat after me, "Its only a soap...its only a soap...its only..." 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help